Texas HIE Plan
Texas’ plan to develop electronic health information exchange (HIE) statewide is patient-centric, market-based, and community-driven.
In 2010, the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) and the Texas Health Services Authority (THSA) developed a State HIE Plan to meet requirements under the State HIE Cooperative Agreement Program. That State HIE Plan guided the THSA in developing an HIE infrastructure in Texas from 2010 until the Cooperative Agreement Program's end in March 2014.
The updated State HIE Plan includes a background on the THSA and a description of activities and programs underlying five key strategies:
- Increase the size, scope, and services supported through the Texas Statewide HIE Network;
- Support statewide HIE adoption;
- Continue to build confidence and trust in Texas HIE;
- Empower patients through health IT and HIE; and
- Support contingency planning.
In early 2014, the THSA conducted stakeholder interviews and solicited feedback to form this new State HIE Plan. The THSA Board of Directors adopted the final State HIE Plan at its June 20, 2014 meeting.